Can you get in trouble with the SU grant in Denmark?

You must follow the rules when it comes to SU. 

You must be aware of a couple of things when it comes to the SU-grant. If you receive SU you must be employed, so you will have income from two places – your work and the state. Remember that you have to use two different tax cards. The SU always uses the primary tax card. Your work must use the secondary tax card if you want to minimize the taxes you owe. Make sure your taxes are done right, so you don’t have to pay back your SU. If you earn to much money you will have to pay some of it back, and there are not a lot of people who take that into account.

If you say no to SU
It’s important to know that even if you decline the SU grant, you stay in the system. If you want to get SU, know that there could be a chance that you’ve earned too much in your job, so be aware of your total income. If you have earned too much without knowing and receive SU, you will have to pay it back.

Terms and conditions in your part-time job
Another thing to think about is the terms on which you’ve been hired by your employer. Remember to read your contract thoroughly, know the expectations, and how many hours you will work. If you are made to work longer than you agreed to or are made to pay back a portion of your salary, something is terribly wrong. If you had trouble finding a job it can be hard going up against the company. But you deserve fair treatment. Contact us, the university, or the police.

Consequences for a non-EU/EEA student
If you’re a non-EU/EEA student you must know that working more than 20 hours a week can have severe consequences for your stay in Denmark. The Danish Immigration Service will either cancel or refuse to extend your residence permit or you will in worst case go to jail or pay a big fine.

You may also like

Share: Twitter | LinkedIn | Google+ | Facebook